Right nostril is Pingala Nadi, which represents physical energy and body.
The breath through right nostril is important for many important
The purpose of the Right nostril breathing is to increase the Pranic
energy , the physical energy, to revitalize the body. It increases the
efficiency of digestive system, also boosts the nervous system,
especially the sympathetic nervous system.
Following are the benefits of
Right Nostril Breathing -
- It increases the body temperature, which removes the Kafa (mucus)
imbalance. This is very effective in obesity. Regular practice of Right
nostril breath is used for weight loss.
- Prana increases in the body, increasing the vitality.
- Very effective for depression, low energy.
- Helps reducing the anxiety, depression and other mental illnesses.
- It gives all the benefits of Deep breathing as well.
Practice - Note (Practice of Right Nostril breathing should be done with
a Yoga Expert Only)
1. Beginners can start with deep breathing practice in sitting position (Padmasana
- Lotus, Swastikasana- Auspicious, Vajrasana - Thunderbolt, Any Cross
legged position in which the body can be relaxed and spine is erect.)
2. Pranav Mudra of right hand, will help close the left nostril while
inhaling through right nostril.
3. Initially 4 seconds inhale through right and exhale for 6 seconds
through right nostril or left nostril, this can be practiced for about 5
4. With practice one can increase the counts to 4:8, or 5:10 or 6:12
- If you feel little bit of discomfort then you can reduce the ratio of
- Under No circumstances the proportion of the breathing should be forced.
- People who have undergone abdominal surgeries, heart surgeries, brain
sugeries should consult the medical expert or consultant.
- Please do not rush to increase the proportions, as it will not help, but
trying to practice easy ratio (4:6 seconds) for little more time may
Bhastrika (Bellow's Breathe) -
This literally means one has to operate lungs like the bellow, fast
inhalation and fast exhalation, followed by inhaling through right
nostril and performing kumbhaka with bandhas and exhaling through left
nostril, this is is Bhastrika Pranayama. This is vitalizing type of
Pranayama. This rhythmic inhalation and exhalation stimulates the
circulation of cerebral fluid, creating compression and decompression in
the brain. Rhythmic diaphragm movements stimulate heart & lung muscles
improving blood circulation. Accelerated blood circulation and rate of
gas exchange in each cell produces heat and washes out gases.
This is done by opening lips, keeping the upper and lower teeth touching
each other, then inhaling through mouth with hissing sound, then
performing kumbhaka with bandhas and then exhaling with nostrils. The air
passing via tongue, cools the blood, lowering the temperature of the
blood. This type of Pranayama removes excess heat in the body. Also the
diseases like acidity, hypertension etc. This Pranayama harmonizes the
secretions of reproductive organs and all the endocrine system. Also it
improves digestion, lowers High Blood pressure, purifies the blood.
Shitali (Cooling Breathe) -
Tongue is rolled and inhalation is done via mouth followed by Kumbhaka
with Bandhas and then exhalation with nostrils. The effects of the
Shitali are same as Sitkari Pranayama.
Murchha (Swooning Breathe or Fainting) -
This type of Pranayama induces a state of "conscious unconsciousness" (in
the words of Swami Satyananda of Bihar School of Yoga). One should inhale
through both the nostrils, the kumbhaka with Bandhas, but while exhaling
the Jalandhar Bandha (Chin Lock) is kept intact and then exhalation is
done with the Jalandhar bandha (Chin lock). Excess pressure is exerted on
carotid sinus during exhalation with Jalandhar bandha, which further
reduces blood pressure and one can experience a state of unconsciousness
with practice. This Pranayama involves high risks so should not be
practiced with out the Direct Guidance of Guru.
Plavini (Floating Breathe) -
After inhalation the air is filled in to stomach and kept inside for some
time. Swami Satyananda mentions that one can inhale the air via mouth
while practicing this. Text of Hatha Yoga Pradipika mentions that one can
float easily on water with this Pranayama. This Pranayama helps remove
most of the ailments of stomach or digestive system.