For the dough: 2 cups Maida (Plain Flour)
1/4 cup melted Ghee
1/2 tsp Salt
For filling: 2 cups finely chopped Onions
1 tsp Kalonji (Nigella Seeds)
2 tsp Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 tsp finely chopped Green Chillies
2 tblsp Besan (Bengal Gram Flour)
2 tsp Dhania Powder (Coriander)
2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Garam Masala
3 tblsp Chopped Coriander
2 tblsp Oil
Salt to taste
Other Ingredients: Oil for frying
• To prepare the dough combine all the ingredients in a bowl
and knead into a semi soft dough using water. Keep it for 5 - 7
• Divide the dough into 12 equal parts and keep them covered
under a wet muslin cloth.
• For the onion filling heat oil in a pan.
• Add the kalonji, saunf, bay leaves, green chillies and onions
and saute till the onions turn light brownin color.
• Add the besan, coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala
and salt and saute for 2-3 minutes.
• Add the chopped coriander and mix well.
• Remove the bay leaves.
• Allow the mixture to cool completely.
• Divide into 12 equal parts and keep aside.
• To make kachoris roll out each portion of the dough into a 2
inch diameter circle.
• Place one portion of the filling in the centre of the rolled
• Surround the filling with the dough by slowly streching it over
• Seal the ends tightly and remove excess dough.
• Roll each filled portion into a 2 1/2 inch diameter circle
taking care to ensure that the filling does not spill out.
• Gently press the centre of the kachori with your thumb.
• Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
• Deep fry the kachoris in hot oil over a slow flame till fgolden
• The kachoris should puff up like puris.
• These kachoris take a long time to be cooked in the inside too.
• Serve hot with tamarind chutney and hari chutney.