Poli Puran Poli is known as Holige in Karnataka and Bobbatlu in Andhra Pradesh.
• 1/2 kg Maida (All purpose flour)
• 1/2 kg Lentil (Gram dal)
• 1 tsp Cardamom powder
• 1 tsp Ghee
• 1/2 kg Jaggery
• 100 ml Oil
• Salt to taste
• Wash and boil the lentil with water and 1/2 tsp salt till it
• Cool slightly and strain the dal using a strainer.
• Add cardamom powder and jaggery and grind to make fine paste.
• If the paste is sticky, keep it on fire to dry up completely.
This is puran.
• Knead 1/2 kg maida with water and 1/2 tsp salt. Do not make it
• Add oil and knead the maida again till oil gets absorbed.
• Prepare equal number of balls from maida and puran.
• Roll out maida balls to make small pooris.
• Stuff these pooris with puran ball.
• Roll them again into balls.
• Roll out to make chapatis. It is called poli.
• Heat a griddle and roast each poli.
• Apply ghee on both sides when done.
• Serve with hot cup of tea.