• Put all the ingredients for the filling (cumin, coriander,
cloves, cinnamon, grated onion, peanuts and peppercorns) in a
mixer to make a fine paste.
• Heat a pan and put little oil. Add grated coconut, salt, red
chilli powder and turmeric powder and the paste and saute for a
while. Take out the masala and keep it aside.
• Wash the brinjals and slit them lengthwise. Do not cut the
• Rub the brinjals with salt and turmeric.
• Stuff the masala (filling paste) in each of the brinjals.
• Take a pan and heat oil in it. Add cumin and mustard seeds.
• When the seeds splutter, add the stuffed brinjals.
• Cover it with a lid and let the brinjals cook over low heat.
• When the brinjals become soft, add little water.
• Now add the tamarind and jaggery water into it. (Tamarind pulp
and grated jaggery mixed in 1 cup water).
• Sprinkle salt according to your taste and cook the brinjals
• Garnish with chopped coriander and coconut.
• Serve hot with rotis or parathas.