Since obesity and high blood pressure are among the leading risk factors for heart attack and stroke, "Walking" offers protection against two of our major killers.
Pre requisites for walking :
1. Wear loose clothes and well fitted canvas shoes.
2. Preferably go on a empty stomach or with just a glass of water/lemon juice.
3. You can walk in any pace with which you are comfortable.
4. Try to be regular in your walks and each walk should at least be more than 15 minutes.
5. If you are walking daily then a walk of 5 kms or 45-60 minutes would do.
6. Try to walk in the early morning.
7. One can walk alone or maybe in a company as per your comfort.
8. Brisk walking with a rhythmic movement of arms and feet, coupled with controlled breathing, enhances the benefits.
How to Walk : - Warm up exercise before commencing walks.
- Maintain an erect posture while walking.
- Inhale deeply to regularize swinging your arms.- After every 4 steps, inhale deeply, as much as your lungs can take.
- After every 4 steps hold breath. (neither inhaling nor exhaling)
- Start the above cycle again.
Walking helps in burning calories. It takes 3500 calories to gain or loose one pound.
Following table shows how walking affects the calories :