A hangover is the experience of various unpleasant physiological effects
following heavy consumption of alcoholic beverages.
The most commonly reported characteristics of a hangover include:
While a hangover can be experienced at any time, generally speaking a
hangover is experienced the morning after a night of heavy drinking. In
addition to the physical symptoms, a hangover may also induce
psychological symptoms including heightened feelings of depression and
- Sensitivity to light and noise,
- Diarrhea and
- Thirst, typically after the intoxicating effect of the alcohol begins
to wear off.
Hypoglycemia, dehydration, acetaldehyde intoxication, and glutamine
rebound are all theorized causes of hangover symptoms. Hangover symptoms
may persist for several days after alcohol was last consumed.
Approximately 25-30% of drinkers may be resistant to hangover symptoms.
Dehydration is caused by alcohol's ability to inhibit the effect of
anti-diuretic hormone on kidney tubules, which leads to a hyper-osmolar
state, which in turn causes shrinking of (by loss of water) the brain
cells which causes hangover.
Hangovers are poorly understood from a medical point of view. There is
currently no empirically proven mechanism for prevention except reducing
the amount of ethanol consumed, or for making oneself sober other than
waiting for the body to metabolize ingested alcohol, which occurs via
oxidation through the liver before alcohol leaves the body. The most
effective way to avoid the symptoms of alcohol induced hangover is to
However, there are many folk cures that are supposed to help cure a
hangover. Many of them will help you cope by replenishing the vitamins
and liquid you lost over night, while some like avoiding caffeine are
very important to a quicker recovery. There is no one size fits all
cure, find what works for you but the list below is a good place to
- Sleep. Rest is your best friend at this point to give your body a
- Oral rehydration Solutions is another helpful remedy to overcome or
- Hangover cures need determination to exercise not very hard, but
running on a treadmill with a few push ups can actually help. The
sweating induced by exercise followed by a good hydrating drink can cure
- Orange juice is one of the commonest techniques to cure hangover. It rehydrates the body and supplies good dose of vitamin C to counter the
feeling of nausea. Combine this with toast of bread and boiled eggs for
a healthy enriching breakfast.
- Ginger tea alleviates nausea cold and cough but then it has another
advantage as it aids to minimize hangover headache. It can alleviate
typical head splitting headaches and also helps the stomach to digest
alcohol faster without causing cramps.
- Vitamin drinks loaded with water soluble vitamins like B and C gets
absorbed quickly and works to eradicate the hangover. Just ensure to
grab a low sugar supplement.
- Over the counter pain killers like aspirin are excellent for
relieving the pain and discomfort induced by hangover.
- Strong cup of coffee as caffeine increases the blood pressure to help
the body to metabolize alcohol faster providing relief from drowsiness
- Get hold of any granulated antacid as they have sodium bicarbonate to
neutralize the excess acidity caused by excess alcohol consumption.
- Banana is a preventive measure better than cure. Have a few bananas
before heading for bar as potassium in banana and the carbohydrate has a rehydrating
& coating effect on the intestine respectively helping you to recover
faster from after effects.
Compiled By: India Diets Team
protein at every meal, including breakfast.
Eliminate wheat- and flour-based products for the time being.
Reduce starch to one portion a day, and don't eat that portion during your
Apples, pears, plums and berries all are good choices. Bananas are not.
Reduce or eliminate dairy for the time being, especially cow's milk.