Recipe Osaman is a sweet Gujarati dal traditionally served with rice.
Serves: 3 250 cal per serving
• 150 gm Red Gram (Masoor Dal)
• 2 tbsp Jaggery (Gur), grated
• 2 tbsp Tamarind Pulp
• 2 tbsp Peanuts, roasted
• 4 Green Chilies (sliced)
• ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
• ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
• ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
• ¼ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
• A pinch of Asafetida
• 6 to 8 Curry Leaves
• Coriander Leaves, finely chopped
• Salt to taste
• Water (as required)
• First add four tablespoon of water to tamarind pulp and
make a dilute solution without lumps. Keep it aside
• In the meanwhile, boil masoor dal in 2 cups of water.
• When nearly done, add tamarind water, jaggery, roasted peanuts,
salt and green chilies.
• Allow it to simmer, until the dal is completely cooked.
• Now, heat oil in a separate pan and add mustard seeds. When the
seeds sputter, add asafetida, cumin seeds, curry leaves and
• Now, add the dal and cook for a while.
• Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.