HANDWA RECIPE: Handwa or Lentil Pie is a popular Gujarati recipe.
•1 Cup tinned lentils
• 2 tbsp Flour
• 4 tbsp Butter
• 2 Onions
• 1 Pint of vegetable stock
• Herbs of choice
• Small garlic clove (optional)
• 1 Potato, mashed
• Salt and black pepper to taste
• Wash the lentils.
• Melt butter in a frying pan.
• Fry chopped onions.
• Remove them from the pan when they turn brown.
• Put flour into the pan and add stock.
• Now boil it.
• Mix together garlic, herbs and seasoning properly.
• Place lentils and onions into an oven proof dish.
• Pour some of the sauce from the frying pan.
• Cover it with the mashed potato.
• Bake it for about 1 hour at 200 degrees centigrade.
• Serve with remaining sauce.